Wednesday, April 1, 2015

First Time Out of the Continent--Words and Photos by Nia

 
The Roman Forum

This school trip to Rome is my first time ever being out of the continent. Before coming, I was extremely nervous about the trip, especially since I wouldn't be with my family and I would be in a country that speaks a language other than English. However, after the first couple of days my worries have almost all diminished, and I'm sure that the rest of the trip will progressively get easier.

The food has all been very delicious, especially since Italian food is my favorite. Even though not all of the locals speak English, myself as well as the rest of the group have found that it's not too hard conveying what we meed to say via broken Italian and universal hand signals. The foreign methods of transportation (the good bus and metro systems and lots of walking) took a little longer to get used to, since its always crowded and, despite going to school on a hilly campus, the walking is way more than we're used to, averaging around 8-9 miles per day. We're still trying to get used to the constant standing and walking, but it gets better every day. All of the sites have been BEAUTIFUL, especially the Colosseum and Saint Peter's Church. Everyone is having such a great time and bonding so much as well, even though we're a group from a variety of social interests and grades. Can't wait for the rest of the trip!

St. Peter's Basilica

2 comments:

  1. Salve Nia,
    Did not know this is your first venture beyond our borders! Every picture of you is full of smiles and intent. You look confident and happy. I am thrilled that your first trip abroad is this one.
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad your fears have been put to rest

    ReplyDelete