Saturday, April 6, 2019

A Final Reflection—by Eddie

The final note of our trip is gratitude. 


Yesterday morning before the treacherous Hydrofoil ride to Capri, I knew it was the final day and my caffeine rush led me to exclaim how thankful I was for everyone and everything. Although others did not proclaim such outspoken gratitude, the sentiment connects us as we head home. 


Oscar, yesterday, could not believe that he lost his phone at the bottom of Janiculum Hill on Day 1 in Rome. Where'd the time go? [Note: Happy ending: Kelli and Oscar quickly recovered it at the church we had just left!]


From our fast-paced tourism based at Casa La Salle to our travel-packed excursions out of the Villa, our group evolved from a pack of Overlakers into a  tough, talented, and tight team. I love this group. 


Personally, this trip led me to develop many neglected parts of myself. The intensity of conversation and the abundance of opportunities for quality time allowed me to listen to my peers beyond my regular bandwidth. I came to see the truly wonderful people on this team in a new light. 


Tess challenged me to see the truth behind many political and social issues that I would never have explored without her. She articulated her values clearly and explained her perspective with refreshing detail. I am so lucky to know her!


Jake stayed up chatting with me in the bathroom/room late at night and we questioned everything -- the birth order of siblings, what it means to grow, and how family impacts our lives. He is a great guy, in his own way a great roommate too. 


Sofia brightened my day when she turned to me and asked "How are you doing, Eddie?" Leading to a wonderful conversation that led me to reach a new depth of connection with this team and myself. She is wonderful and I am so glad to know her. 


Will pushed me to master the soccer ball with his relentless passion for the game and his energetic approach to life. I appreciate his consistent energy and vivacious style of life. Can't wait for him to grow into his potential on and off the field!!


Jimmy made us all laugh. Once, he interrupted a conversation between me and Jake late one night in the Villa, bursting us into laughter when he said "feathers from the same bird flock together... this the truth is" or something like that.


I wish I could explain how every quality moment touched me. I can't hit everybody as they deserve, but Oscar's philosophical brilliance, Sam's friendly openness, Ruta's intellectual brutality, Neha's inspiring confidence, Farah's reserved joyfulness, Allie's sympathizing engagement, Sophie's insightful commentary, and Matt's ravenous appetite (for Italian food) also will remain with me for a long time in memory. I am so grateful for the quality moments I have witnessed here. 


Jake and Sofia helped me identify and articulate an emotional benefit of this trip for me: I identified as one of the students, fully engaged socially, rather than as ASB President. I love being on a team. When I stepped out of my title and into this trip, I found true peers and absolutely appreciate them with a newfound sense of closeness. I am inspired to recognize myself as another student at school, above my ASB role. 


As we return to "normal life" there is no way to maintain the same feeling of family. What I plan to do is bring this level of openness and warmth to my own family life and spread it wherever I go next -- in college this fall, in my adult life beyond, and everywhere in between. 


PS ~ The trip leaders will get something nice when we get back to school!! Thank you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment