Monday, March 25, 2019

Our First Day in Rome—by Eddie (Photos by Kelli)

Today, we stepped into tourism. 


From a dozen "countoffs" to a few chunks of free time (feat. gelato), our leaders kept us organized and on our toes. After a fair morning departure time and a pleasant breakfast, our jetlag lost its hold (or we faked it well) when we stepped into our day full of walking through Rome. 


After navigating the Metro for the first time as a group, we found the exit and sauntered into an in-your-face close-up of the Colosseum. Huge. Right in front of us. Wow. 


Minds are blown at the first view of the Colosseo. 



For the next few hours, I continually double-blinked to reground my perspective, considering the incredible privileges and majestic luck that led me here. Before my own eyes, I studied befamed columns, arches, and temples with exquisitely realistic sculptures of historic narratives. We circled the Colosseum, the Arch of Someone Important, the Forum of Nerva, and more ancient sites.




Arch of Constantine


I looked around, comparing the rooftop landscape with jutting ancient ruins, appreciating the graceful cooperation between Roman architecture and Italian preservation. When I was ten years old and lucky enough to visit, I called these spots "a bunch of old rocks." Now, they are old rocks with character, and I appreciate this opportunity with an appropriately childlike excitement. 






Imperial Forum

I am grateful to join this smart, fun group on such an excursion. Parents, thank you for supporting us in living out this wonderful journey. One of my goals is to develop meaningful connections and positive memories with every single Overlaker in this group, and I am so excited to engage everybody in fun chatting and silly moments. 


Spanish Steps



gelato 



Ponte Sisto


My highlights from today include, but are not limited to: 

finding eggs at breakfast when I was convinced there were none, 

noticing the Colosseum by surprise,

weathering the advertising agents in the square at Trastevere,

conquering the hike and views at the top of Janiculum Hill,

breathing the calm air of a beautiful church,

and -- most of all -- connecting with my peers in a casual, active way. 



Santa Maria di Travestere Church





Top of the Janiculum Hill after a long climb

Fountain at the top of the Janiculum Hill

Water time


Gelato in Trastevere

Rewarding so far. Although I missed some small bits of instructions here and there, I am confident that each day of this trip will prove more and more satisfying. I like this team :)



Trevi Fountain







2 comments:

  1. fabulous commentary Eddie. Happy Birthday to Jake! Is the water safe to drink from that fountain?

    ReplyDelete
  2. These fountains all over Rome are considered very safe drinking water. No worries!

    ReplyDelete