Tuesday, March 26, 2019

An afternoon at the Capitoline Museum—by Tess (photos by Kelli)

The afternoon started with lunch at the Campo de’ Fiori. It was still raining, so we took some time to have sit-down meals indoors in smaller groups and get to know our new friends even better. I continue to find myself delighted by the attitude and easiness of the group--I couldn't have asked for a better family-away-from-family! 


We then made our way to the Capitoline Museum through narrow, winding streets and over cobblestones slick with rain. Italian traffic is taking some adjustment for me (the best strategy for crossing the road seems to be to just start going and hope the cars will stop), but we made it safe and sound and in one group to the Capitoline.




The rain let up slightly as we waited for Sarah to work her magic and get us into the museum, so we explored the statues in the courtyard. Neptune and Julius Aurelius were a common theme, starring Aurelius on his massive warhorse in the center of everything. As an equestrian, I love the horse statues because they tell so much about the style of riding in antiquity! Luckily Neil and other group members were happy to listen to my analysis of Aurelius's tack and mount. 

Once inside the museum, we took a brief jaunt with Sarah through some of the first rooms to garner her expertise on the ancient artwork. The statues and sculpture work are my favorite. The detail the Ancient Romans managed to create in stone-working is almost unbelievable to me, but there was so much of it right in front of me! I was absolutely blown away. Some highlights for me included:
-The busts of Sappho and the Medusa
-The relief on the sarcophagi 
-The lion and horse statue
-The different (and gorgeous!) marbles used to make columns 









After Sarah lead us to original Aurelius on the horse, we had about an hour of free time to check out the rest of the museum by ourselves. Besides more statues, I saw a lot of Renaissance paintings depicting Roman myths--Sophie came with me and offered her mythology expertise and helped me analyze some of the richest paintings. 








Post-Capitoline, we walked back to the Spanish Steps for some gelato and a view of the sunset. One of my favorite parts of this trip so far has been the time I get to spend with the group. I've never laughed so hard nor learned so much in one day. We enjoyed the sunset and our company, then headed out to have dinner at Pizza Ré, which was incredible (per most Italian restaurants). Dinner is another best time of the day for me because it entails so much quality time with the group. 

Overall, today has left me with a full mind and a full heart. From Ancient Roman shopping malls to metro stations, lying in bed in the evenings and walking twelve miles, everything I do with this group is an enriching and relaxing adventure! Looking forward to more to come :)

No comments:

Post a Comment