Saturday, April 8, 2017

Our last day spent in Capri by Michael

Text by Michael, photos by Kelli

Waiting for the ferry to Capri on the dock of Naples
Today we visited the Island of Capri. The main thing I was excited to see was the classic element of the island, however it turned out to have so much more to offer.

In the morning we rode the hydrofoil out to the island, which was a completely new experience for me. It was so unsettling to be going so fast and nearly not even feel like you are moving. When we finally reached the island, my stomach was completely out of whack, and I could hardly stand. As I write this on the way back to Naples, I can only hope that it will be better this time. 
Arriving at Capri after disembarking the hydrofoil ferry

Capri

After arriving to the most beautiful landscape I have ever seen, we got off the hydrofoil and immediately boarded a tiny bus, packed in like sardines. I was so nervous as we wound up the hills. The was road barely even wide enough to fit one American car, but somehow passing busses were able to squeeze by one and other. Looking out the windows, I saw the indescribably blue waters of the Mediterranean. 
The view from the bus on winding roads of the marina below

Once we arrived to the small hillside town where we spent most of the day, we were really able to get a sense for the feel of the area.

The streets of Capri

Capri continues to be a higher-end place to live, something that has not changed since the time of the Roman Emperors. This isn't surprising, considering the incredible views we had all over the island. However, one in particular took the cake.

In order to get to one of Tiberius' palaces at the top of a mountain, we had to ride a rickety, one-person chairlift. Personally, I had no trouble because I used to ski on a team, but some other members of the group were pretty nervous. 
The start of the chairlift up the mountain

I think I can speak for everyone when I say that it was worth it at the top. We could see for miles in every direction, and it felt like we were the rulers of the sea. I didn't think it was possible for a view to command such power.

The view from the top

The view of the island from the top of Monte Solaro

After having a light packed lunch overlooking the island and the surrounding seas, we went back down the chairlift, and spent the rest of the day wandering through the town, enjoying the beautiful ocean air and sunshine. 

Coming back down to Anacapri from on the chairlift

Coming back down to Anacapri from on the chairlift


Michael rides the chairlift down the mountain and over private, terraced gardens
I had an incredible time on the whole trip, and the trip to Capri was the icing on the cake.
Time for a snack in the main plaza of Capri

The view from Capri



1 comment:

  1. Getting to the top of Anacapri is a suitable high point for the end of the trip. So glad you had such a great experience, Michael, despite the hydrofoil and cramped bus. Rest up for school on Monday!

    ReplyDelete