Friday, April 7, 2017

Capri by Emily

Text by Emily, photos by Kelli

The view from the top of Mount Solaro, Capri


After getting a solid 6 hours of sleep, the last day in Italy was upon us. While going to breakfast with mixed feelings about leaving the next day, we knew that today was going to be one of the most anticipated and best ones yet. At least for me it was. We were heading to the Isle of CAPRI by hydrofoil. After breakfast and the 45 minute bus ride of napping, we approached the ferry terminal where we were to wait for about a half an hour. The group stopped at some gift shops and picked up the last minute presents for the family and before we knew it, it was time to go to Capri.

The hydrofoil ferry ride consisted of listening to music with friends and staring out the window majestically to the Mediterranean while pretending that we were in a part of a music video. I know we have all been there. As the island approached, it was just like what I thought it was going to be. Sometimes when you see pictures on google images of iconic tourist destinations like Capri, you think to yourself "there's just no way that's what it actually looks like," basking in the sun in all its glory of white hillside houses overgrown with lush greenery and the crystal clear blue Mediterranean, but to our disbelief, that's what it actually looked like. 
The Marina at Capri

After unloading the ferry, taken aback by where we were, I saw each one of our sunkissed faces with smiles from ear to ear. I knew for sure this was going to be one of the best days yet. While on the island, the only way to get up to the little squares filled with cafes and shops was to take a tiny bus up the windiest rode you could ever imagine. The funicular was closed for water damage. The bus was filled to the brim with people so close to the point of exploding and as soon as you think that there isn't any way possible more people can fit in it, 20 more people squished into the small bus with very minimal seating. Take the questionable bus plus a road that in America would have been one way street, but here, it's a two way. Two buses coming at each other on a very thin road literally about to hit each other. A recipe for disaster. Basically what I've taken away from that experience is that Italians just don't really care. You feel like you're being thrown around like a rag doll in an uncomfortable and sweaty bus with a minor headache from the heat and the movement, but looking out the window to the sun glistening uptown the Mediterranean immediately draws your  attention away from anything else that might be happening. 
Emily on the bus

The views from the bus ride up the mountain were incredible.

When we unloaded the bus kissing the ground feeling so thankful that we we out, we got told the news that there was going to be ANOTHER bus up to this chairlift to the top. The chairlift was up to the highest point of the island where Tiberius the second emperor created a lookout where you can see the entire island. The chairlift to the top had individual seats taking each tourist up to the viewpoint. At first, I was very nervous about going up the chairlift because the whole heights thing isn't really my thing, but as I sat down all by myself, all I could hear was the birds chirping in the sun and a full view of the sea and Capri right below me. 

The views of the island from the chairlift

This turned out to be my favorite part of the whole day. After being with a group of 19 for two weeks straight, 10 minutes of utter silence was quite nice. It was a time to think, reflect on everything that we have seen this trip, and take in the scenery around us knowing that we might not ever be here again. When we got to the lookout, it was incredible views of not only the island itself, but the surrounding islands as well. After taking a picnic lunch break and learning some history behind the lookout, we headed back down the mountain for some time to explore the towns of Anacapri and Capri. 


A picnic lunch at the top
We had the opportunity to do some shopping and hang out with friends and embrace our last hours together. Before coming on this trip, I was not very good friends with most people on the trip but as the trip progressed and we began to spend more and more time with one another, I met some people and made some wonderful friends I wouldn't have gotten the opportunity to make otherwise. I got some chocolate and lemon gelato (a classic combination told to us by Sarah that changed my life) and did some last minute shopping for my close family and friends and went into the most high-end expensive shopping knowing that I couldn't buy anything but pretending like I could. As the day wrapped up, with nostalgic faces, we boarded the ferry again and headed back to Villa Vergiliana to pack all of our stuff for the early morning tomorrow and getting our last time with each other before we depart. After all the unforgettable memories I've made on this trip, I'm leaving a part of my heart in Italy.

Emily in Capri

3 comments:

  1. Descriptively and emotionally written, Emily. What a wonderful post. Capri truly is a magical place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. [reading in disbelief... this is me very soon!] I am amazed by your writing, Emily, not just your dazzling details (as Army likes to say) but the content itself. I'm so excited to go!!

    ReplyDelete