Monday, March 25, 2024

The Tabularium at the Capitoline Museum—by Estelle



The Capitoline Museum had many awe inspiring artifacts that were all interesting in their own way whether it was silly like “porkulese”- the baby faced teenage Hercules (it makes sense when you see it), emotional like the heart wrenched old woman clinging to a casket of wine, or riveting like the dying Gaul. But I found that many of these artifacts paled in comparison with the beauty and connection I felt witnessing the view in the Tabularium overlooking the Roman forum. Standing in a place where the mighty empire kept their records overlooking the remnants of where people used to walk - and modern people still did, I felt very grounded into what time travel felt of. I feel as though no picture can capture the feeling of the wind on my face and the sheer proximity to something of such antiquity - I dare say it was one of the closest things my atheist self has ever felt to a religious experience. Being so close to the world we studied from afar for so many years, it was unreal. It’s a bit embarrassing to admit but I felt myself tearing up at the view and the connection to history and humanity I felt then. If the rest of the trip is anything similar to that experience I had today then I can say with certainty I will have a wonderful next 9 days.


Blog reflection by Estelle
Photos by Kelli

No comments:

Post a Comment